Monday, November 10, 2008

Happy Birthday Marines

Birthday Cake Scott made in November 2005

(Boot Camp 1999)

November 10, 1775 is the birth date of the United States Marine Corps. So I want to wish every Marine out there Happy Birthday. I remember 8 years ago when I attended my first Marine Corps Ball. I had known that the ball existed prior to that, after all I was raised in a Yuma, Az close to a base. I knew several people that attended the ball every year, but I never understood the history behind the ball until I attended one in the year 2000. Scott and I were engaged. He wanted to take me to the ball. He was a young Lance Corporal (E-3). I was just excited to go and get to dress up and get to see him in his uniform. When we got to the ball everyone started wishing each other happy birthday. When I first heard someone tell Scott happy birthday I was very puzzled. For a split second I felt bad that I did not know his birthday. "I thought, how could I be marrying a man when I don't even know when his birthday is." But then Scott told the other Marine happy birthday. And I soon caught on. The ball is a birthday party to celebrate the Marine Corps. I even started a tradition of getting him a birthday present every year to give to him when we went to a ball. But I have fallen out of the tradition and really need to get back into it. If you ever have a chance to attend a ball you should go. Marines are allowed to bring guest, so if you know a Marine that attends a ball you should ask them if you can go as their guest. The last ball Scott and I attended was three years ago. I have missed it so much. I want to make it a goal to go next year. It is always hard for us to go because Scott is usually busy making a cake for the Commandant's Ball. I am going to make him take me next year.

I had to run to the store really really late Saturday and I saw a young Marine and his date at the store. They must have just come from a ball. I wished him happy birthday and gave him a sturdy Oo-rah as I walked by. I even got a little teary eyed as I did it and when he wished me happy birthday back. So if you run into a Marine, in or out of uniform today. Wish them happy birthday. The Marine Corps has so much pride. I love it!!!!! I love my husband for the service he gives our country. So I may not have bought my husband a birthday present this year, but hopefully he will read this post and know I love him

Happy Birthday....OO-RAH!! Semper-fi!

Semper Fidelis is Latin for "Always faithful." Best known to Americans as the motto of the United States Marine Corps (often "Semper Fi" (IPA: sɛm pər ˈfаɪ) for short)




cook school 1999-can you find Scott? Front row 2nd one from the right.


Marine Corps Ball November 2000


I am so proud to be married to a Marine-December 2000

Cake Scott made in November 2002


The day Scott left for Kuwait/Iraq in Feb 2003. The war had not even started and did not even have a name yet. The picture below is his him saying good bye to Maelee at age 11 months...not walking and not talking.

Scott and a donkey and his gun in Iraq


Scott's Homecoming September 2003. Came home to a 19 month old walking and talking daughter and a very happy wife that was so glad to have her husband home safe.


This was the last picture we had taken at a ball. We have only been to one other since this picture was taken but we do not have any pictures from that evening.

Scott working his dream job...Enlisted Aide to The Generals. Above he is pictured with General Haggee in 2005 with a cake he helped to make for the Commandant's Ball. Below is Scott at his re-enlistment for his third and current enlistment. He was re-enlisted by General Peter Pace in April 2006. Scott will hit his 10 year mark in the Marine Corps this April. Time goes by so fast.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post, you must be so proud. Man he is an insanely amazing cake decorator, those cakes are unbelieveable! You are one hot mama! I love the picture from the ball, so beautiful! Tell Scotts thanks for all he does for our country~!

London said...

Great post. I loved seeing these pictures of you . You look FAB!!!! Your husband is awesome at decorating those cakes. What a talented guy.

Channon said...

I think the key term here ladies is that I "used" to look like a fab hot momma....not so much any more. I am always hesitant to post pics of what I used to look like. It is shocking to most that have never seen me that way. I guess I prefer my old friends to think I still look that way and my old friends to never know I was capable of looking like that. Oh well....age and babies, it is all worth it.

Amber said...

Channon you are so pretty.

Anonymous said...

I am the proud mother of 2 Marines, both deployed for our wonderful country now. Just last night I finished a book about the 1st meeting between my grandson and his daddy. My son was able to come home for an introduction! And since my daughter-in-law moved back to the town her parents and we live, it was a huge family reunion, too. He and his wife attended their first ball just last November, and the pride? Yes, much, much. I nearly cried when I thought I'd lost the photo they'd given us (but I had scrapped it already...we are good to go.)
And my other son gets to celebrate his 1st anniversary with his wife, too! They married over a 2 week trip to back to the US. Now he is serving in Recon and she is off at grad school.
We often think of the men gone. But there is much to be said in thanks to the families at home, serving their men as they serve for us. Thank Marine Family! Happy Birthday!

Tina said...

Nice post!

And can I just add that sure, there are times you feel and look better than other times...but your basic beauty does not go away!

Deanna Payne said...

Thanks Scott! Happy birthday!

Channon, what amazes me is that you look so beautiful no matter how you wear your hair. Lucky You!