Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Then and Now


I wanted to share a special story about my maelee. Most of you know I am a Heritage Maker. I make books about my family and help others make books and products about their family's. Two years ago I made a wonderful book about my mom's relatives from Italy (my Grandpa Minerva's family). View it here. Sadly, it does not have any story. The stories are missing. I would like to redo it and write more story if Icould get some. And last year for Christmas my sister Christen made a wonderful book for her family members. It was so great that I ordered a copy for myself. View it Here.  I have made several books about the happenings in our family, but not a little special one yet like my sister has. That book is on my long list. After this experience I had with Maelee it is being moved up to the top of my list. So, Now back to Maelee and her story:


Last week Maelee came up from the basement with these two books in her hand. She walked over to her backpack and put them in her bag. I asked her what she was doing. She said she was taking them to school to show her teacher because they were learning about then and now. She held up the ancestors book and said it was our cousins then and then she held up the other one and said it was our cousins now. She got it!!! My six year old gets what her heritage is. She understands that our family existed then and it exist now. I was so touched. 

My friend Lena, a fellow storybooker, shared with me story about the co-founder and president of Heritage Makers and a dear friend of mine, Doug Cloward. Doug is fighting a battle with cancer right now. Heritage Makers is just getting off of the ground and this business is a dream of his. This summer Lena was doing a booth at a local fair. Doug came by the fair. He stopped at Lena's booth and chatted with her and I am sure he looked at her books. Then she said he started looking ill, so she asked if she could walk him to his car. I really hope I get this next part right...As they were walking he started to ask her, "do you think they get it?" Lena asked "get what?" Doug said something about wondering if people really get that Heritage Makers is more than just books. It is about families. It is about Heritage. She said he got a little teary. He is a tender hearted man, but especially these days. But of coarse you would have already guessed that he is tender hearted by such a wonderful company that he has created. I recently wrote Doug to tell him that people are "getting it." People are starting to understand that these books are about family heritage. I know my 6 year old gets it. I get it. Have you gotten it yet? Everyone has a story......who is telling yours? and do your kids know your story? 

0 comments: